This year’s reading list is on the related themes of calling, vocation, and work. The question of how we understand these three words and how they relate to both our individual everyday occupations and the work we do together as the church should be one we are asking. Our list for this year is assembled to help us think about these topics. As usual, there are six books to read, one every two months. The exception to this is the first pair, which I think should be read as closely together as time allows. (Also, since I am late publishing this list!)
In the early part of the period in which these books are scheduled, you will find a brief review of each one on Let My People Read. I hope this will help encourage you to look at them, and I hope your reading will lead to some discussion of them via comments on those review posts.
Here is the list and schedule:
- Jan – April: The Mission of God’s People: A Biblical Theology of the Church’s Mission by Christopher J. H. Wright Amazon Christianbook
What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission by Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert Amazon Christianbook
- May – Jun: Children of the Living God by Sinclair B. Ferguson Amazon Christianbook
- Jul – Aug: The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life by Os Guinness Amazon Christianbook
- Sep – Oct: Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God’s Work by Timothy Keller Amazon Christianbook
- Nov – Dec: Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good by Amy L. Sherman Amazon Christianbook
All these books except the Ferguson work are available as Kindle books. All except the Ferguson and Keller are available in ebook format from Christianbook. All but the Ferguson and Sherman books are available from iBooks.